Saturday, January 9, 2010

Posting about my weight loss experience

Weighing and Measuring Food.

"I truly need to do this weighing and measuring. If I can lie to myself when the FACTS are right in front of me...Think of how easy it would be to lie to myself about portions if I didn't do this!"

Weighing on my digital scale is always for the cooked food I am about to eat...UNLESS it is pasta/rice/etc..because the calorie content on the packages are always for dry uncooked!!! Then it is a bit harder to figure. For example I made Quinoa today, it is 160 cals for 1/4 cup DRY, so I cooked 1 full cup and divided it into 4. It might seem like a lot of work...but it is the only way I can honestly know what the Eff I'm doing!

As for weighing directly on the scale...I just place a piece of plastic wrap on the scale either with the food in it or put it on top of the plastic (cooked). The scale is for meats and cheeses mostly.

This might sound completely pathetic but I once weighed my coffee: 1st the empty cup then with the coffee. I was curious to see how much water weighs too!

This is the moment of truth! See if you can be totally honest with yourself and if a food is 4.1 ounces will you mention the .1 ounce...also if you used oil in cooking, measure that OIL. So many times I actually wanted to basically LIE to myself that it made me realize how much I truly need to do this weighing and measuring. If I can lie to myself when the FACTS are right in front of me...Think of how easy it would be to lie to myself about portions if I didn't do this!

I know I've found a way to lose that isn't dieting and is perfect for being nourished and content.

Don't forget to use (free) sparkpeople.com, it's a billion times better than writing it out on paper and trying to figure out the MATH.

5 comments:

  1. I am new to Spark People and I am loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I just wanted you to know that I follow your tweets all day long and love the motivation. Thanks for all your help. You are a great encouragement to so many people out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth that is such an amazing thing to say. I sometimes wonder if anyone benefits from what I write, but I figure if even just one person is like me and can get even one tip from me it's worth it to keep on writing.

    Thanks for making my day! Say hi to me on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled onto your blog.

    I have a food scale in my kitchen. Sometimes I use it sometimes I don't. But if I see a 4.1 I will so count the .1. If I didn't it would feel like a waste to me. Why measure if you are not going to input the correct number.

    ~Randi @ kickingfat.com

    ReplyDelete